Wednesday, January 12, 2011

My first event this year!

Last night I attended my first event as The Cooking Activist!  I am so excited!  I joined several organizations that are here in Northeast Florida for a documentary viewing, a panel discussion and information fair.  We showed the movie "At the End of Slavery" by IJM or International Justice Mission.  The purpose of the event was to raise awareness about human trafficking and modern day slavery and to give people the tools they need to take action and do something about slavery.  These were the organizations that were there: 
Amnesty International UNF-Northeast Florida:
A Jacksonville-based grassroots organization actively involved with hosting, sponsoring, assisting and collaborating with human rights related events, organizations, activities, campaigns and research.
Transitions Global They have an aftercare facility in Cambodia and they assist other organizations in establishing homes for survivors of sex trafficking around the globe.
Made By Survivors: Their handicraft programs offer survivors of sex trafficking a job that enables them to support themselves and live a meaningful, independent life.   Made By Survivors also provides an economic alternative to slavery and exploitation for women and youth at high risk for being trafficked. 
World Relief Jacksonville: World Relief provides refugee services to foreigners by helping them adjust to life in America through a variety of ways.
My table for Human Trafficking Awareness Day 2011This is a picture of my table at the event!  I made and packaged organic fair trade cookies, I displayed some fair trade ingredients, and I had some handouts for fair trade resources, a sample of my bakery menu and a packet that included a little about me, my plans for a bakery, and my cookbook.
My homemade organic chocolate chip cookies This is the label I made for the chocolate chip cookie. I made it with fair trade sugar and chocolate.
Delightful Oatmeal Cookie, organic and fair trade This is the label for my signature cookie, Delightful Oatmeal Cookie, these were a big hit!  I was able to sit on the panel for the discussion after the movie.  I was able to tell the audience about my passion for ending trafficking, how I got started as an abolitionist, and what they can do to help end slavery today.  I shared my heart last night and it was great to sit with others that are passionate about this as well.  I look forward to working with these organizations in the future for more events like this!  I'm excited for what God has in store for me this year. This is going to be my best year ever because it will be my best year spiritually!(my pastor, Stovall Weems)
I want to thank Robin Rossmanith for organizing the event!  You are awesome!!  Robin has a website called, Shop To Stop Slavery, which is a fantastic online guide for all of your fair trade shopping needs.
Each of us can do something to help abolish slavery!  Tell a friend today, share my blog with others, get involved volunteering, buy fair trade products, donate to one of these awesome organizations that I described above, or organize an awareness event!  Get started today and let me know what your plans are!

Libby,
The Cooking Activist

1 comment:

  1. So awesome Libby!!! What a great way to start off the new year= ) This is just the begining of what He has in store for you. We will keep praying for you and the Cooking Activist. Love the pics by the way and I hope there is so extra cookies left over= )

    ReplyDelete